Thursday 28 June 2012

Cardigan Makeover

A while ago whilst out shopping I spied the most lovely cardigan; I fell in love with it but didn't like the price tag.  So I talked myself out of buying it.  Did I really need yet another cardigan as I have so many?  But it was so lovely with a pretty voile lining that hung below the hem and bobbles hanging from this.  The next day my dear hubby persuaded me to go and get it (I didn't need much persuasion) but the one in my size was  rubbed under the arms.  When I mentioned this to the assistant and suggested someone had worn it and brought it back she dismissed this (the very thought!) and explained that it had probably got like that whilst on a mannequin!!  Well, I like value for money and, though disappointed, decided that if it looked like that before it had left the shop then it wasn't for me, especially at that price.


But I couldn't get it out of my head and decided to try to makeover a cardigan in a similar style.  Not knowing how it would turn out I bought a cardigan from Primark for £6, yes £6!  Crazy price, how do they do it?  Then to John Lewis for some voile and trimming.

Some spotted voile was half price so I bought half a metre for £2.50 though I didn't need this much and the trim cost £4.50.  So here is the finished result with a new set of silver buttons I already had.  Ok, it's not exactly like the other one but costing a tenth of the price at  £13 I am quite pleased!





12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What a fabulous job you did with the cardigan. Wow! I sooooo love it! Looks amazing! You are a savvy shopper :o)

    The price is spot on! Thanks for sharing! Merci!

    Have a beautiful weekend!

    Blessings & Hugs,
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are SO clever! I have rather a lot of black cardis and you have inspired me to try something a little different. Thank you! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was probably the shop assistant who had borrowed the cardi and returned it the next morning!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea, it looks fantastic - well done you!
    Hope you have a good weekend,
    Essie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think yours looks even better, I love the polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree - if you are paying a premium price you should get a perfect item! A bit cheeky of the shop assistant to try and fob you off. The cardigan makeover looks lovely. I have a plain navy one that isn't really me and I feel inspired now to have a go at transforming it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks really lovely. I have so many plain cardigans. You've really made me think I should make some of them as pretty as yours. Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh cute cardie! I'm happy I found your blog!
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Want a great idea, I love the spots too, you've inspired me... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a clever idea, i think i'll try it. thank you.

    ReplyDelete